Saturday, April 16, 2016

Dear Jonathan McReynolds,


(Originally drafted September 25, 2015, but not posted for fear of looking like a groupie. Ha! I'm good now.)

Dear Jonathan,

Let me just start by saying, "Brother, you are the TRUUF!" I wanted to post pictures and video on Facebook from the CD release weekend in Chicago so people could see and share in the awesomeness, but I realized I had a lot more to say than could be covered with a mere post or two. And I needed to say it all to you.

Let me get the pleasantries out of the way since this is a letter. "Hey, hi, hello. How are you? Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I'm Iantha. *sticks out hand to shake yours* I'm a New Orleans native who lives in Georgia. I'm a middle school educator and founder of Praise Movement School of Dance. My life's work and the very beat of my heart is pouring into my students and my dancers. I love music. It lives in my bones. I know when I hear GoOD music, and I know when an artist is more than an artist. You, sir, are more than an artist who is making GoOD music. Thank you."

Okay. That's enough.

I remember when I first stumbled upon you. Because I'm always looking for music to use for ministry with Praise Movement, I keep my ear to the street. Ha! (A lil' gangsta wit' it!) I'm always searching for a fresh sound and a fresh message to keep my girls excited about dancing unto the Lord. And in my search about hmmmm...maybe a year or so ago now, there you were. It was No Gray. I was like, "Umph," nodding my head to the beat, making the stank face when you hit all them notes and runs, lifting my hands as I downloaded the message from the song into my internal database. Myyy, myyy... And like we all do nowadays, I had  to hear more from you, so I scoped you out on social media. I sat for a good bit on YouTube watching all of your Unplugged videos, and that was a wrap! I'd officially added a new artist to my repertoire. You were fresh and genuine. The lyrics came for a real place, and that, I LOVE! And on top of that, like India said to you on stage at the CD Release last weekend, you just "sing your face off!" Ha!

Of course, after that, I wanted an opportunity to see you live. The artists I love, I just HAVE TO see! When you were in Columbia, SC at Tye Tribbett's The Chosen conference, a friend and I took the short drive to see that amazing line up, but we were, unfortunately, with the great number of folk who couldn't get a ticket. Let me not revisit that memory. It's too painful. (I love me some Tye too!)

So fast forwarding to now...
THE VERY DAY that you announced your CD Release/B-Day Bash via social media, I contacted a friend and asked if she'd be down for a trip to Chi-Town because I  was immediately compelled to go. I should've mentioned in my lil' intro up there that I will hop on a plane in a minute for an adventure! Being able to see Jonathan McReynolds and his amazing line up AND do Chicago for the weekend? (singing) "Com-plete-ly yeee-ees! My sooo-oul says yeeees!"

We made arrangements THAT night...purchased our Gold Access tickets, booked flights (she from Dallas, and I from Augusta) and a hotel, and hashed out all the details. We were ready for our Jonathan McReynolds Girls' Weekend! (That sounds a little weird, but I already wrote it soooo...)

And that Friday night DID NOT disappoint! My GOD, my GOD!

Thank you, Sir, for teaching Christ and Him crucified. Thank you for, at the young age of 26, living a life that shouts Jesus. I'm 9 years your senior, but I remember when I was 25 laying the foundation for Praise Movement and how it seemed there were only a few (thank God for them) in my age bracket who were serious about not only living for God, but "living Him" so others could learn from how we live. We wanted to make disciples. We wanted to build the kingdom. Young adulthood gets it hard because so many are living lives outside of Christ and it would make it look like none of us are living for Him. So NOT true! I'm so grateful for your ministry. I'm grateful for the lives that will be changed from not only hearing you through your music, but from seeing how you live your life.

Thank you for sharing bits and pieces of your journey on stage that night. Thank you for letting the world know that you simply did what you felt God was telling you to do, and 5 years later...

Please continue to share it. Let others know through your testimony that souls await our obedience. Souls await our decision to walk in the gifts and callings He's placed in us.

And thank you for sharing your stage with other artists. It was an amazing night! I wanted to see Israel live too, so that was cool. And how dare Smokie sneak up in the building and get himself on that stage and kill for all of 2 minutes! *falls out*  It was just a great night of lifting Him up and honoring the man of God. Thank God you were born. And again, as India said, "We need you on the planet."

Oh, and Happy Birthday! I didn't say that when you signed my CD and so graciously agreed to stand to take a picture with me even though as you said, "now you know I'm tired. I been working."  Even that spoke volumes. Ha! And when I said I'd traveled from Georgia to be with y'all that night, the love of God and sincere gratefulness rose up in you and manifested itself with a hug.

I'll continue to pray that your love for God's people and your humble gratefulness remain. Certainly, "the world" you're in now can be a whirlwind, so I, and so many others, will stay on the wall and cover your humanity. We'll cover your health. We'll cover your gift. We'll cover your mind. We'll cover your discernment.

Lastly, we enjoyed the heck out of your beloved Chi-Town, okay?!?! Will DEFINITELY be back to finish exploring. One day was certainly not enough.  The nomad in me needs adequate time to see what I want to see and do what I want to do.

We love you! We're grateful for you! Keep living Christ! I look forward to the live recorded acoustic set! That CD is gon' be da BIDNISS! No pressure. Pun intended.

Iantha
#GeorgiaLove



No comments:

Post a Comment