Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Discipline Series: Final Words

As the Discipline Series comes to a close, I want to leave you with some practical things (from my pastor) to do to grow in discipline. My prayer is that we make changes as the Lord speaks to our hearts. My prayer is that when He speaks to, and convicts our hearts, we move! He shows us where we need to change and/or grow because He knows where He wants us to go. Will we trust Him with our lives? Will we trust that a call to discipline in EVERY area of our lives is for our good?

Consider the following things to help you live a life of discipline.
  1. Have definite goals. A "plan" without specific parameters is simply a thought, and thoughts come and go. Having a goal means you've set measurable confines that you must meet and usually by a certain time. Measure your goals and see them through.
  2. Detach from distractions. PUT THAT PHONE DOWN! (I'm definitely talking to myself. I have to leave my phone in a completely different room sometimes. I'm growing in discipline in that area.) TURN OFF THAT TV! And distance yourself from anything else that hinders you from reaching those goals.
  3. Pursue with diligence and consistence. To have diligence is to pursue with painstaking perseverance and persistence. If you really want to please God with your disciplined life, don't give up when it gets hard. Push harder!
  4. Practice self-control. I'm a witness that if you really want something and you're willing to do what you need to do to get it or achieve it, the Holy Spirit will help you. He honors a heart that truly desires to honor Him. Watch Him make CRAZY ways for you to be successful when you really mean business and you're willing to deny yourself for His sake.
  5. Tell yourself "no" by the power of the Holy Spirit. Again, I'm a witness that denying yourself doesn't have to be difficult. When you renew your mind and set within your heart that you want to walk in discipline, the Holy Spirit will help you say "no".


And when you've done all of that, reap the rewards of your discipline. You will...
  1. be more orderly and have a less stressful lifestyle. My favorite example is what I shared in this series a couple times about taking out and ironing my clothes for the week. Makes life SWEET! When I don't do it, I'm a mess!
  2. feel good about yourself. When I work out, I feel GREAT, and I'm confident. When I achieve a financial goal because I was disciplined in my spending, I feel like a champ. When I know I'm applying God's word and I begin to see Him working on my behalf because of it, I feel like daddy's little girl. 
  3. be more productive. I tell my girls (dancers) all the time that productivity breeds productivity. If your life of discipline makes you more productive, you'll fall in love with productivity and want it more and more. You'll see goals being realized and you'll never want to go back to goal-less life.
  4. have a positive impact on other people. We don't follow people who slack. Period. No one wants to be led by someone who doesn't have themselves together enough to lead effectively. Think about someone you respect now. Think about someone who's leadership you would gladly follow. Now compare them to someone you wouldn't follow. What are the differences between them that inform your decision? I'm sure whatever it is has impacted you on some level. Your disciplined life will allow you to be that for someone else.
  5. have open doors of opportunity. Just like I said in #4, people want to follow those who will positively impact them. And the same is true for employers and other leaders when they're looking for someone to serve on their "team". They want someone who's disciplined. When you're disciplined, it shows in your productivity. It shows in your appearance. It shows in your punctuality or lack thereof. It shows in EVERYTHING. The doors of opportunity will swing WIDE open for someone who proves themselves worthy of the opportunity.
  6. reach your goals. That goes without saying. If you're disciplined, it's inevitable that you will see what you're seeking, in full view
I've enjoyed sharing with you.

Until next time...
GOD BLESS!


No comments:

Post a Comment